Visitors Scream for These Ice Creams
1. Columbus, OH – Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams – Why? A bouquet of flavors like wildberry lavender, Thai chili and salty caramel.
2. Bar Harbor, ME – Mt. Desert Ice Cream -Why? President Obama and his family enjoyed a few cones at this shop. Though he ordered coconut, there’s also a Jack Daniels flavor.
3. Scottsdale, AZ – Sweet Republic – Why? High-quality, local and fair trade ingredients.
4. Cambridge, MA – Toscanini’s – Why? The famous burnt caramel cream, and the people watching through the floor-to-ceiling windows.
5. Honolulu, HI – Bubbie’s Ice Cream – Why? Nobu chef, Matsuhisa’s favorite flavor: Mochi green tea.
6. Minneapolis, MN – Pumphouse Creamery – Why? Organic local dairy, the local obsession: sea salt and caramel praline cone.
7. New Orleans, LA – The Creole Creamery– Why? Traditional flavors paired with unique ones like Creole Cream Cheese.
8. San Francisco, CA – Bi-Rite Creamery – Why? Everything homemade, even the Rocky Road marshmallows, is this creamery’s promise.
9. Berkeley, CA – Ici Ice Cream – Why? Mary Canales, famous pastry chef, invented flavors like brandied cherry and rose.
10. Denver, CO – Sweet Action Ice Cream – Why? 100 percent wind-powered, the shop has unusually delicious flavors like: Oatmeal Stout, Strawberry Balsamic, and Baklava.
11. Hockessin, DE – Woodside Farm Creamery – Why? Since 1796, resident cows have produced decadent ice creams like the signature Peanut Butter & Jelly flavor.