When my father in law generously gifted me his used DSLR camera (he was getting a new one!), I was so excited. Although the camera was still in primo condition, the camera bag was very lacking. The straps were wearing down from the weight of the camera, and it could only fit one of my lenses at a time, let alone adding in the extra batteries and chargers, and it was hardly padded. I always brought along my camera with some bit of trepidation, worrying that the bag would break (one strap actually did break on a trip once and was jimmy rigged to stay together until return), or worse, that my camera itself would be broken during travel.
Despite my obvious need, I was hesitant to purchase a camera bag. Inexpensive brands seemed to offer the world but I was worried their performance would be lackluster. Expensive brands claimed great protection and ease of use, but the hefty price tag left me questioning their real value.
This month, I've had the chance to review the;Brenthaven BX2 Convertible Shoulder Bag. The midsized bag offers the perfect amount of space to carry my DSLR, standard lens, telephoto lens, battery pack, and charger. You can wear the bag in two different modes, as either a shoulder bag or wrapped around your waste for hands free mobility while shooting. (The waist strap and hip pads stow away inside the bag when not in use.) The price tag isn't terribly cheap, but after reviewing the bag, I am certain that the quality and craftsmanship on this bag will exceed your expectations.
The folks at Brenthaven obviously have the user in mind. Here are some of my favorite features:
- Fits DSLRs with 4" lenses attached- no need to constantly disassemble.
- Medium sized bag stores 2-3 additional lenses
- Padded BX2 Xtreme Foam protects your camera from drops.
- Top lids open away from the body- you can get your gear easier during sessions.
- Tethered LED light helps you see what you need in low light situations.
- Water resistant "Speed Zip" opening gives quick access to switching lenses.
- An all weather cover also stows inside the case for shooting in any condition.
- 100% Lifetime Guarantee- if you have a problem with your bag, they'll fix it.
To see the entire line of Brenthaven camera bags and accessories, visit;www.brenthaven.com.
In the meantime, book some;cheap airfare, grab your camera (and camera bag) and go!
Disclaimer: I received a complimentary camera bag for this review. All opinions are my own.
Photo credit: Brenthaven